Our doctors are currently seeing patients through in-person and video visits.
When you call to schedule an appointment with our doctors, please let the team know if you want an in-person or video visit. If you request a video visit, our team will walk you through the simple process of arranging one. Call your preferred campus today to schedule an in-person or video visit* appointment.
* This service is open to new and existing patients.
The pediatric organ transplant programs at NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital and NewYork-Presbyterian Komansky Children’s Hospital serve the needs of children and teens with acute and chronic organ failure. With more than 50 years of experience in pediatric organ transplantation, we provide a multidisciplinary, integrated team approach to address the spectrum of transplant needs of patients and their families.
We offer specialized programs dedicated to pediatric heart, kidney, liver, intestinal, and multi-visceral transplantation. We have a long history of successfully performing transplants on some of the most complex patients, including those who require multi-organ transplants. As the pediatric teaching hospitals of two Ivy League institutions — Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons and Weill Cornell Medicine — our team is at the forefront of clinical care and research to help reduce the need for organ transplantation, extend the time before needing a transplant, and improve long-term outcomes for children who have had a transplant.
Pediatric Transplant Programs
Our transplant programs include:
What Sets Us Apart
NewYork-Presbyterian is a leader in pediatric organ transplantation and treats children with some of the most serious and complex conditions. Our doctors perform procedures that require the highest level of medical and surgical expertise, and NewYork-Presbyterian's transplant outcomes — both complication rates and long-term survival — are among the best in the nation.
- The first hospital in the world to perform a successful pediatric heart transplant surgery, NewYork-Presbyterian continues to be a leader in the field. We have the highest volume heart transplant program for children. The only children’s hospital in the tristate area that has been designated as a Platinum Center of Excellence by the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO), we can provide extended heart-lung support while your child waits for an organ.
- We have special teams to help treat children who need double organ transplants. Working closely with doctors from several specialty areas, we’ve successfully performed heart-kidney and liver-kidney transplant surgeries on children and teens.
- Our kidney transplantation programs utilize many innovative strategies to care for both transplant recipients and living kidney donors. We strive to provide pre-emptive kidney transplants to our children or shorten time on dialysis before transplant.
- At the Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation, our transplant team can perform laparoscopic living liver donation that has revolutionized the pathway to donor recovery and decreased morbidity.
- We have a dedicated transition clinic to help teenagers who have undergone transplant surgery or who require transplant surgery prepare for the transition to adult care after they turn 21. This program helps them prepare for health and social changes that arise.
Comprehensive Supportive Care
Organ transplantation can significantly improve the lives of the child with organ failure, but the surgery and the processes surrounding it can be daunting. To assure the best possible outcomes for our patients, we have strong multidisciplinary teams, comprised of not just physicians but also nutritionists, social workers, transplant pharmacists, and psychiatrists. Ongoing research projects and regular quality improvement meetings help the teams to identify barriers to excellent outcomes and solutions to challenges faced by families and children needing an organ transplant.