Treatments and Procedures
Services and Specialties
NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley is renowned for successfully transplanting children with complex heart conditions—many of whom are turned down by other institutions and programs. Our success is the result of the dedication and expertise of our heart transplant specialists and cardiothoracic surgeons, the use of assistive devices to treat children with heart failure as a bridge to transplant, and our novel approaches to transplant immunosuppression regimens.
When you bring your child to us with end-stage heart failure—from either complex congenital heart disease or cardiomyopathies, you and your family will benefit from the following services:
- Mechanical assist devices. Our heart surgeons are at the forefront of developing and designing ventricular assist devices for infants and small children as a bridge to recovery or transplantation. Mechanical assist devices are needed in up to 50% of our patients waiting for a heart transplant, speaking to the complexity and severity of our patients.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). A short-term device to support the heart and lungs in very young patients, or in children whose anatomy will not permit a ventricular assist device, our physicians were some of the first in the world to use this life-saving technology successfully in children.
- Pediatric pulmonary hypertension care. Specializing in transplantation of children with heart failure and pulmonary hypertension as well as providing life-saving support options for children with severe heart failure waiting for a transplant, we work hand in hand with our Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Center—the only center that is accredited by the Pulmonary Hypertension Association in the tri-state region and one of only 8 in the country.
- Pediatric cardiac intensive care unit (CICU). We were the first in the nation to have a pediatric CICU exclusively dedicated to the needs of critically ill infants, children, and adolescents in need of specialized heart care, including those in need of and recovering from a heart transplant. Our specialized unit is staffed by a highly skilled team of intensivists from multiple subspecialties and a highly specialized nursing staff who are experts in caring for children with complex heart conditions.
- Interventional cardiology. As the largest pediatric cardiac catheterization program in the tri-state area and one of the busiest in the country, we are known for successfully performing some of the most technically demanding and innovative procedures, including those used to treat congenital heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, and arrhythmias. Cardiac catheterization is a minimally invasive, non-surgical treatment that enables many children to avoid open-heart surgery.
Call for an Appointment
NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital
Program for Pediatric Cardiomyopathy, Heart Failure, and Transplantation